CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 14, 2008

no discouraging talk

I never struggled with math until Geometry and Algebra 2...once I got there my brain seemed to melt just looking at all those proofs and formulas. So often I would make a comment like, 'I suck at math.' But at the Rebelution they were talking about giving in to low expectations by using phrases like "I suck at math" or "I'm just not a people person" using them as an excuse not to do well. Far too often I use these excuses to get out of something...and by saying them all I'm doing is adding to the low expectations of the world. So one of my hard things(I've got a ton) is not using excuses (discouraging myself) and to start stepping up to try harder.
The problem is that often I'm not motivated to do better, "its just math and I'm not gonna be a math teacher so...who cares!" but this is not true...my job is to do everything for the Lord and that is my goal...not to please man or to just do what gets me to pass but to do everything and never settle for what society would call "my best."
Ephesians 4:29 says "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."

2 comments:

Morgan said...

gosh, i say i suck at math all the time! i need to work on that, pray for me! :)

Melly Rose said...

We'll pray for you.
I have the same problem of making excuses like "I'm never gonna use this in my life, so why bother?"
or with little things "Does this even make a difference?" (hint: yes, they do)
I have to work on looking at things through God's eyes and doing everything with all my heart, keeping in mind that I'm doing it all for Him.