CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Reaching out with the Gospel

I'm in a very unique situation. I'm learning sign language at CPCC and that enables me to be able to reach into the Deaf Community. I'm not sure if many of you know this but the Deaf Community is the least evangelized of all peoples in the entire world. Because of this I believe that God has given me the opportunity to reach out to the Deaf Community and help spread the Gospel.
This morning I was given the chance to do just this. I was invited by a group of level 3 Interpreters (they have finished the classes I'm doing and have already begun Interpreter training classes...so they are almost 2 years ahead of me) to sign a song with them at the group festival over at Central this morning. I was the only level 2 ASL student to sign songs with them and I was told that I could pick a song to do on my own. I chose The Gospel Song by Sovereign Grace Ministries
1) because it was the only song I knew the signs to
2) because it was short and
3) because it was the gospel displayed.
A few of the girls showed me how to change the signs from ESL to ASL and It wasn't that hard. As I began my song this morning (I was asked to do it FOUR times!) I saw deaf people and hearing people alike affected by this simple song. Four times I watched the gospel affect lives and some even cried. Likewise one of the other girls did Amazing Grace/My Chains are Gone by Chris Tomlin and there was a similar reaction.
This was so amazing to me and it just brought the reality home to me that I should be reaching out not only to hearing people but deaf people as well. This is one of the areas I plan to work on...its just like Joe Lechner taught that we are missionaries and all of life is our mission field. For some it is larger than others and I'm really excited to enter into this new territory. I don't know where God is leading me but until then I want to share the Gospel with the Deaf Community just as I would the hearing world. How amazing is God's plan!!!

5 comments:

Mark said...

That's amazing. It's awesome to see God's work and power displayed, and it's awesome that God has given you this ability to reach out to others.

Emily E. said...

That's awesome Chelsey! It's amazing how God is working through music and through you to reach out to the deaf community. How does that work the music work? Are you just signing the song by it's self or is the music playing along with your signing? Keep us updated on your mission!

Chelsey Miracle said...

Thanks guys! Emily to answer your Q, the music is playing while we sign so that the hearing folks know what we're doing.

Anonymous said...

Chelsey, this is definitely an evidence of God's grace in your life. Keep it up!!
~mee

Morgan said...

Wow, that is really cool. Its so great how God is using you in this way! Keep up the great work!!!